Brenternet (The World as seen by Brent Moore)

Trying to appeal to the highest common denominator. I can't give you 110% effort, but I will give you 107.4% effort. If you're a spammer and leave me a comment, I will make fun of you. I use twice as many semicolons compared to most other bloggers

My Photo
Name:
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee, United States

As the title implies, I am Brent K. Moore. I married MariLynn Simons on Sept. 25, 1999. we attend Stewart's Creek Church of Christ. We have five pets, a dachshund, Slinkie, a malamute, Juno, and three rabbits, Ebunny and Ifurry, and now Houdini.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Smyrna Air Show

It's been a long time since I went to an Air Show, despite the fact that one of the country's best air shows had been occasionally held just a county away in Smyrna, TN all the years I was growing up. About 15-20 years ago, I went to the Smyrna show with my buddy will and his dad. Then, a couple of years later I went to an Air Show in Waco, and that's it. From there, I went a decade without really thinking about it. About 5 years ago, on a day I didn't even realize that the show was going on, my wife and I were at Percy Priest lake and in the mid afternoon I kept seeing all these military planes fly over. Then, the next time there was a show, I was busy that weekend.

Now that I live in Smyrna, I live about 3000 feet from the end of the runway. Thanks to my new photography hobby, I wanted to be there and had the date marked in my mental calendar ever since the date was announced. Then the Blue Angels flew into town. I work late nights and sleep late into the day. On Thursday, the Blue Angels were there to awaken me from my day's sleep before work. I ran outside and got this picture:

Blue Angels are waking me up

Now I really wanted to go to the show. I drove to work and saw two of the Blue Angels pass each other above the Wendy's in town. On Friday, it rained early in the day, while I went to town hall to buy my advance ticket. In the afternoon the skies cleared and they were back at their practice. I spent about 20 minutes in the front yard and took these pics:

Air Show Anticipation

Now, I can't wait. Saturday gets here. By my own standards, I wake up four hours early to go to the airport that's so very close, but they haven't built a road directly from my driveway to the airport entrance and it takes me 45 minutes to get somewhere that's less than a mile away. At least I wasn't one of the poor souls who came in from the interstate.

Six hours and a nasty sunburn later, I have taken 1300 pictures on my Canon camera. 93 of them are online-worthy and many of my favorites are shown below. If you would like to view all of the photos, Click Here to see the thumbnails, or Click Here to view the Slideshow, which will take about 8 to 10 minutes. Or, you can click on any of the thumbnails below to view larger versions.

This B-25 vintage military plane might possibly be the prettiest plane I've ever seen. For $5 you could go in to the plane and see the cockpit and sit in the front bay and pretend to shoot the gun. I like the plane but I wouldn't pay to get in.

Pacific Prowler

This is the first time I've ever described a picture with the words "Children exit through the plane's lips"

Children exit through the plane's lips

Red Eagles:
Red Eagles Red Eagles Red Eagle #3

Gene Soucy

Gene Soucy #3 Gene Soucy #4 Gene Soucy #2

Shockwave, a three jet-engined powered truck, was a real crowd pleaser. Using up 120 gallons of fuel, it can go about 300 MPH.

Shockwave jet-powered truck

The Skytypers are vintage World War II planes.

Skytypers #1 Skytypers #2 Skytypers pass by near each other

Julie Clark has a patriotic theme with Red, White & Blue smoke coming from her plane.

Julie Clark with Red, White & Blue smoke Julie Clark with flag back on land

Air Force's F-16 demonstrates it's flight capability.

F-16 lands F-16 F-16 taxis

Gene Soucy brings out Teresa Stokes, a wingwalker. This seems to me to be an insane thing to do. In the first picture, she turned upside-down on the top wing.

Wingwalker standing on her head Wingwalker Wingwalker #6

Then the Blue Angels do their thing. They stretch out their performance by having their C-130 ("Fat Albert") fly around for a bit.

Blue Angels C-130 Fat Albert Blue Angels C-130 Fat Albert flyover Blue Angels C-130 Fat Albert

Now the stars of the show, the six F/A-18 Hornet Blue Angels:

Blue Angels flys parallel, one upside-down Blue Angels Diamond Formation #2
Blue Angel #6 taxis back Blue Angels, one solo passes diamond Blue Angels delta formation approach Blue Angels Blue Angel
28998

3 Comments:

Blogger sidhebear said...

Awesome photos! Thanks for posting them.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Will C. said...

Argh! I was looking forward to the air show this year, but I had a stinkin' prior commitment. My little girl got to go, and had a great time (until the scary loud Blue Angels of Death came through).

I'll have to dig up that photo of you from that air show. I'm thinking it was about 21 or 22 years ago, which was the last time I attended with my buddy brent. I may have to use the photo as blackmail for not capitalizing my name, in your otherwise grammatically correct blog...

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home