Brenternet (The World as seen by Brent Moore)

Trying to appeal to the highest common denominator. I can't give you 110% effort, but I will give you 107.4% effort. If you're a spammer and leave me a comment, I will make fun of you. I use twice as many semicolons compared to most other bloggers

My Photo
Name:
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee, United States

As the title implies, I am Brent K. Moore. I married MariLynn Simons on Sept. 25, 1999. we attend Stewart's Creek Church of Christ. We have five pets, a dachshund, Slinkie, a malamute, Juno, and three rabbits, Ebunny and Ifurry, and now Houdini.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

When Chrismas Carols discuss baseball strikes

The Major League Baseball player strike that ruined the 1994 season didn't end until after the owners tried to fill rosters with replacements for Spring Training in 1995. Generally, these players were either retired players, not good enough to make the majors, or were scabs that crossed the virtual picket line. At the time, I changed Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer to:

Rudolph, Replacement Ranger

You know Masher, and Mancer, and Lancer and Smitten,
Plummet, and Stupid, and Fodder and Nixon.
But do you recall the least famous Ranger of all?

Rudolph, Replacement Ranger
Had an oft bleeding nose
And if you ever saw him,
You would even say, "He's Slow!"

All of the other Rangers
Used to laugh and call him names.
They never let poor Rudolph
Play in any Ranger games.

Then, one smoggy Summer day,
Coach Oates came to say,
Rudolph with your glove on tight,
Won't you play right field tonight?

Now, all the Rangers hate him
After drawing called strike three.
Rudolph, Replacement Ranger
Now lives in obscurity.

2428

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home