Brenternet (The World as seen by Brent Moore)

Trying to appeal to the highest common denominator. I can't give you 110% effort, but I will give you 107.4% effort. If you're a spammer and leave me a comment, I will make fun of you. I use twice as many semicolons compared to most other bloggers

My Photo
Name:
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee, United States

As the title implies, I am Brent K. Moore. I married MariLynn Simons on Sept. 25, 1999. we attend Stewart's Creek Church of Christ. We have five pets, a dachshund, Slinkie, a malamute, Juno, and three rabbits, Ebunny and Ifurry, and now Houdini.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Those Crazy, Fun Dutch Wannabes

In November, while taking one of my "Drive all over the Tennessee Countryside looking for stuff to photograph" excursions, I had to wait out a rainstorm. I stopped at an antique store in Cowan, TN, where they had reasonably priced old post cards. I found many I liked, including the two below that are slightly oddball. It wasn't until today that they share something in common. An appreciation for Dutch culture.

Post Card: World's Largest Wheel of Cheese

on the back:

WELCOME to the HEART of DUTCH COUNTRY, in the SCENIC HILLS of HOLMES COUNTY, OHIO. HEINE'S PLACE: Home of the World Famous MINI-WHEEL CHEESES
See the world's largest wheel of cheese known: Net wt. 20,462 lbs. Observe the art of Cheese making in our modern facility. Visit our cheese house, featuring 27 varieties of semi-soft Natural Cheeses (no preservatives).
Located just off U.S. 62; one mile northeast of Berlin, Ohio 500 ft. North at the blinker light on County Road 77.

I had to learn more on the Internet, to see if this was worthy of my visit, the next time I'm in the area. Apparently, this is in an area of Amish agri-tourism. Heine's Cheese Chalet is still in business, and you can buy their cheese, and watch it being made, but apparently, someone accidentally unplugged the power cord to the refrigerator kiosk in the 90's. Since this postcard, they appear to have mostly dropped the dutch theme.

Their website is www.heinis.com/ and it appears that if you visit, you can sample each of their 50 flavors of cheese in their retail outlet. Finally, they offer a 60 foot wide mural showing the history of cheese-making.

Oh, how I wish they were closer to me in Middle Tennessee, but it's vaguely halfway between Columbus, OH and Cleveland.

Post card: Street Scrubbing in Holland, Michigan

On the Back:
STEET SCRUBBING - In Holland, Michigan, at "Tulip Time" in mid May, young and old alike dress in their native Dutch costumes to participate in the ritual of scrubbing the streets. Dutch dances, parades, windmills, tulips and traditional Dutch hospitality, creates one of the country's outstanding Springtime events.

I looked them up on the internet, and this festival still takes place. www.tuliptime.com/
According to their schedule of events, unfortunately it doesn't look like street scrubbing still occurs, but you can see Tulipalooza, Wooden Shoo-be-doo, Klompen Dancers, Bobby Vinton and the Oak Ridge Boys.
33948

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo amerika!!

Leuk die plaatjes.

groetjes uit nijmegen,holland

Piet coenders

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home