Brenternet (The World as seen by Brent Moore)

Trying to appeal to the highest common denominator. I can't give you 110% effort, but I will give you 107.4% effort. If you're a spammer and leave me a comment, I will make fun of you. I use twice as many semicolons compared to most other bloggers

My Photo
Name:
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee, United States

As the title implies, I am Brent K. Moore. I married MariLynn Simons on Sept. 25, 1999. we attend Stewart's Creek Church of Christ. We have five pets, a dachshund, Slinkie, a malamute, Juno, and three rabbits, Ebunny and Ifurry, and now Houdini.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cincinnati Chili

I recently had a chance to eat a regional delicacy that I've never been able to sample before. There are other American regional foods that are common enough that you can find it somewhere in every major city, like Chicago Deep-dish pizza, Philly cheesesteaks and New Orleans Jambalaya. However, Unless you are near Cincinnati, you don't really have the opportunity to try Cincinnati Chili. Of all of the restaurants that specialize in this, the most famous one is Skyline Chili. It seemed as if there was one of these on every block.

Typical Skyline Chili sign

The signature dish is the Three Way. The chili isn't a hot spicy Texas chili, but instead more of a sweet chili flavor. I thought it had a nutmeg flavor, although many people thinks it tastes like cinnamon or chocolate. The chili is served on a bed of spaghetti, which you can barely see in the picture below. The most obvious feature is the third ingredient, which is the mountain of cheese. It comes with a side of oyster crackers.

Skyline Chili 4-way

Pictured above is actually four-way, with diced onions. It can also be ordered five-way with red beans. I liked it, but my wife didn't care for it too much.

Now, who can make me an egg cream?

for more information, visit your local library or consult this wikipedia article.
2631

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's nutmeg and cinnamom and chocolate that you're tasting in Cincinnatti style chili. Yummy stuff in my book, but sadly the rest of Nasvhille didn't agree. There once were several locations here but they closed in the late 80's early 90's. Have to settle for making my own.

9:05 AM  
Blogger John Sterbenz said...

Ditto what Carol says. I love Skyline and was very disappointed when the 3 Michigan locations closed a few months ago. At least I can get the cans in the supermarket here. I've stumbled across several recipes for "Cincinnati chili" over the years but only have tried one of them.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home